• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trigger rules

trigger rules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:59 AM

With one male and one female that have grown up together i have a problem. i have always fed the dogs together with no problem,(5 years) but the female was getting heavy so i reduced the amount of food at each feeding (2 times a day). Now the male will not let the female eat and i have to feed the female seperate and stand over her to keep the male dog from running her off. I have a automatic feeder for when i am gone and know she gets nothing sometimes for a day. she is losing weight but not the way i envisioned. how do i bring them back!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 jacko

jacko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:11 PM

separate them when feeding time temporarily..
I'm an owner and pet trainer, dog shock collars are a great tool when teaching your pet. Dog Shock Collars are safe and effective and come in different sizes and amounts of static to suit your dog. The instant correction will help your dog know that he is being corrected. In this manner, your dog will know what is right and wrong behavior.

#3 Lyka_01

Lyka_01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:51 PM

jacko is right... just temporary... until your female lose her weight...

#4 LargeBreedLover

LargeBreedLover

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:17 AM

I DISAGREE....... He needs to be punished for being food aggressive. Feed them both together and stay in the room. Any attempt he makes for her food gets a firm "NO" and "Eat your food". He gets 1 warning at first and when he ignores it, he gets kicked out of the room and she gets to eat first. When you feed one dog first, they begin to think that they are higher than the other and this throws off the pack hierarchy. Now in this instance he forfeits his meal if he cannot behave. Once she is done, he can come back in. I have a feeling that she initiated the whole thing b/c she was still hungry and you cut back her intake, so she started poking around in his bowl and now things are beginning to escalate. All meals need to be monitored right now. Using the automatic feeder is going to be detrimental to your training. Dogs can wait to eat until you get home. I would really stop with the auto feed if you can. It may even get to a point where you have to take away an entire meal from one of them b/c they won't eat their own food. This is the consequence, without it you have nothing. They aren't going to starve b/c they missed one or two meals. Dogs are much more resilient than we think they are. \ Sounds like its time for some tough love. And remember, the rule applies to both, if she's in his bowl, same consequence.

#5 JMM

JMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:51 AM

Treating aggression with force can be dangerous. You run the risk of being bitten removing the dog. Management (separation) and work on resource guarding (Mine! by Jean Donaldson is a great book to work through) with positive methods is much safer.

#6 LargeBreedLover

LargeBreedLover

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:23 AM

That is absolutely true...treating aggression with force often leads to making matters worse. At no time though was force suggested. A time out is a form of negative punishment (withholding something the dog wants) versus positive punishment which uses force such as corrections, hitting, etc. I know I threw out the word punishment and did leave it vague, but at no time did I mean to use force for punishment. Rather, withhold the food. Make him earn his right to eat. Once they can be in the same room together, eating side by side again, then we can reward them both by tossing something super yummy into the dish as they are eating. That would be positive reinforcement, but then we may just be opening the door up to aggression again. Calmly petting both is a great way to positively reinforce things without having to bring more food into the mix. The important thing is that the rules apply to both. If you want them to be equal, then you have to treat them as such. I apologize for the vagueness of the original response, but we are being inundated with spammers lately and by the time I get around to answering posts, I've already spent over an hour just doing Admin. stuff. I'm getting really tired of these trollers. JMM: Thank you for pointing all of this out as it is important to clarify these things. It is appreciated by all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information