Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information

Help with my Puggle vomitting out of no where?? - Health - Dog Chat Forums

Photo

Help with my Puggle vomitting out of no where??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mattylance

mattylance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:58 AM

I have a puggle and here is the background: -3 years old -annual checkups and vaccinations always done -always fed the same dry Eukanuba dog food and no table scraps -just moved from Canada to Minnesota -2 weeks ago she got her rabies vaccine -day after she got vaccine she started swelling up and getting hives. We rushed her to e-clinic to get steroid and Benadryl shot -about 4 days ago, she randomly threw up her dinner at about 11pm. And then threw up bile about every hour for about 4 hours. She also had a regular bowel movement -3 days ago we took her to the vet again because she had thrown up in the morning. She was seeming much better though and was playful. We didn't feed her anything other than water for a 24 hour period -vet gave her a prescription for a special kind of bland food and wanted to do a series of blood tests and everything that equated to $800. We did get tick medicine too. -We were hesitant on doing that because it was only 1 day of vomiting and we figured it could just me a one time occurrence -2 days ago she was back to herself with no problems or issues. However, we found a tick in her ear that was attached. We safely pulled out the tick, washed the area thoroughly and then applied the tick medicine for further issues -at about 4am this morning she seemed to throw up again but only a yellowish bile. She has had regular bowel movements and urination the entire time though. She broke out in a little tiny bit of hives and we gave her about 12.5 mg of Benadryl (she is approx 16 lbs) and the hives and itching went away. -at 8am she threw up a little more bile again, but otherwise was okay Okay, sorry for the long background info... here are my questions: 1) Could this all be just a reaction to the original rabies vaccination I have read online that there are some side effects that can last up to 45 days. 2) Is there anything else I should be looking out for? She hasn't been eating any grass, she never eats her toys or was exposed to anything I can think of. Only two major changes to her life are that of the presence of ticks and the vaccination. My wife has caught her eating rabbit feces as well in the back yard... 3) Is there a way to get her to drink more water? She seems to be drinking occasionally, but I think she needs to drink some more...

#2 LargeBreedLover

LargeBreedLover

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:50 AM

Did you get the 4DX test done when at the vet? Did they rule out tick borne illnesses? Using a tick preventative if your dog is already positive isn't going to help you.

#3 JMM

JMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:53 AM

Sounds more like the vomiting is due to dietary indiscretion. Rabbits carry parasites so you ought to have her checked for intestinal parasites. If she continues vomiting, she should have labwork and x-rays with your vet. I highly doubt this has anything to do with the rabies vaccine.

#4 LargeBreedLover

LargeBreedLover

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:08 AM

Totally missed the rabbit thing. Intestinal parasites...probable. Fecal can determine that though right JMM? Typically, you can even bring in your own sample and void a vet visit cost. Still going back to tick borne illnesses: Any other symptoms like fever, stiffness, lethargy? JMM is right, not due to rabies vaccination.

#5 JMM

JMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

Rabbits tend to carry coccidia...it can be seen on a fecal float.

#6 Tech-no-Trainer

Tech-no-Trainer

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:As a veterinary technician and a dog trainer for many years I have devoted my life to the health and well being of animals. I help heal their bodies and minds on a daily basis and I can't think of a better life to have! My own pack consists of Three dogs, a Pomeranian-Hercules, a Chow mix-Willow, and a Dobe/Dane mix-Georgie Girl, one cat, Stewie and an African Grey parrot, Gracie AKA Greybird. I also like to write and read when I can, I'm a video game fanatic and love t go out in a kayak and spot the wildlife.

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:39 AM

If the ticks are a new thing, I'm not sure if a tick borne disease would show clinically that quickly, but I honestly don't know that. I also doubt that it has anything to do with the vaccine. Has the dog ever had a reaction to vaccines before? (Side note on vaccines, if your pet has ever reacted before or if you simply have a concern that they may react poorly to vaccines, always make an early morning appointment on a day they vet is open all day. This way if there is a reaction you can bring your pet right back to the office where they may treat the reaction for free. My vet does. If they are closed you are stuck with the e-clinic and spend a million dollars for steroids and benadryl) Back to her vomiting. If there is no diarrhea then I'm tending to go away from coccidia but you should absolutely have regular checks. I would reccomend every 6 months if you have a poop eater. To check if she is getting enough water, your vet can check the specific gravity of the urine. It is a simple test that takes less than a minute if you bring in your own sample. As far as getting more water into her, you can add some canned food to her diet. Canned food is generally about 75% water. Mix some in with her dry. Also see if she likes to crunch on ice cubes. A lot of dogs like them and it will add water. When they vomit bile early in the morning, it is often because their stomach is too empty and they get queasy. Try feeding dinner later or toss a biscuit before bedtime and see if that helps. With a recent move, there could be absolutely anything in the yard that the dog could have ingested that is causing a stomach upset. (I'm in my house three years and a heavy rain still churns up some bizarre objects. I found a little army man action figure two weeks ago!) Use the bland food, (W/D or I/D generally) and they will probably give you metronidazole which is a gastrointestinal antibiotic. Sometimes probioitcs like pro-pectalin or bene-bac are used to put back the good bacteria. I'm a big fan of bloodwork as we can not look at an animal and tell what is happening inside. Good luck!

#7 JamesNMurphy

JamesNMurphy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Dogs!!! I want to be vet as well but mostly dogs; I do obedience and agility training with Murphy, my border collie who is the best dog in the world. I also swim, play hockey, work in the forest house veterinary group, am a theatrical sound technician, work on a farm locally, and have a total of five dogs. Whew I think thatís just about everything for now.

Posted 24 May 2009 - 01:39 AM

Ok as far as the vomiting goes, I'd have the blood work checked it gives hints into pretty much everything wrong with a dog, Iím surprised its going to cost that much though, for a complete blood test at the vets where I work we charge just under a hundred pounds for a complete test. Now on another side note, do vets in America close at night then? Here in the UK most if not all (at least countryside) vets have emergency call outs which, if its a reaction to initial treatment we donít charge for.

#8 LargeBreedLover

LargeBreedLover

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:50 AM

I can't say for all of the US, but here in Chicago, emergency clinics are seperate than your normal 7-7 animal hospital. Some places have an on-call, but don't actually treat emergency after hours. They will typically refer them to a local emergency hospital which is about $75 just to walk in the door.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information