• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 littlebuggy

littlebuggy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:03 AM

This may seem like a rant, because it kind of is. Go ahead and throw some insults at me anyways, but you know I'm right. Right now as you read this there are thousands of innocent and perfectly suitable dogs being killed in shelters because no body came to adopt them in time. Why is that? Because they were too busy buying a puppy from you. One would think that all the "breeders" out there could stop for just a second and realize what bringing more dogs into the world means right now. Millions of dogs are wasting away in shelters, and on the streets, with their fate already decided for them because there is no room for them in people's homes. There is a HUGE over population of dogs going on right now and breeding more puppies is only making it worse. Especially those of you who just felt like breeding your dogs because you wanted to make some extra money on the side, most of the blame falls to you. You are breeding tempermentally unsound and genetically inadequate dogs and at the same time sentencing another handful of shelter dogs to death just to make a few extra bucks. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. We don't need more "Goldendoodles" and "Yorkipoos", dogs that should never be accepted into ANY kennel club by the way because they are nothing more than mutts, the same as all the strays out there. Just because a poodle is supposedly hypo-allergenic, guess what, when you mix is with a golden retriever, which does in fact carry dander, you get a non hypo-allergenic dog, just like all the rest of them. Why would you even consider breeder two high energy dogs like that in the first place? People get a dog thinking their allergy ridden husband will be able to live with it and they wind up with a dander producing, over hyperactive dog which they have no idea how to train or take care of properly. Hmm, looks like they would have been better off going to a shelter and picking out a dog which they could know the energy level of right off the bat. For every puppy you breed, you take away another homeless dog's chance of finding a home, and even surviving for that matter. Congratulations, your last litter just killed 6 dogs for no good reason. And you are making the jobs of me and everyone else involved in rescuing, sheltering, fostering, and placing dogs in good homes that much harder. I wish all of you would pull your heads out of the sand and realize that you are destroying innocent, helpless lives and keeping them locked up until it is their turn to be euthanized, and I repeat, for ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD REASON.

Attached Files

#2 I-train-em-all

I-train-em-all

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:13 AM

RESPONSIBLE good breeding has its advantages. Especially when needing to know the health history of parents and grandparents. Genetics play a important factor as well as environmental programming and as such one should be aware of what they may or may NOT get in a dog at any age in it's life BASED ON BOTH OF THESE DYNAMICS. Until people make responsible choices ...their will always be dogs in bad situations. DO NOT support Ir-responsible breeders, Ir-responsible rescue, and Ir-responsible ownership

#3 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Dogs///reading///outdoors///photography///fantasy collectibles///my Husband.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:38 AM

I agree. We have both of our Enhlish Mastiffs from very reputable breeders. I agree with rescues but theter are still great reputable breeders out ther--and for them it isn't for the money. It is for the breed.
Viv---adoring Aughra -English Mastiff- Dargon- English Mastiff. Always in our hearts Jorth- English Mastiff- Rontu--Bull Mastiff-- Annie and Blu--Dear Basset Hounds.Drac and Timber--Chow Chows Baron-- Rottweiller

#4 Wild

Wild

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:20 AM

Not so fast. Let's think about how those dogs entered the system. People buy puppies, can't handle them, send them to the pound. This is where you need to start. If people paid the extra money (actually often times much less) for a puppy from a reputable breeder and not a back yard breeder or a pet store, how many dogs would be in the system? Why? because puppymill puppies have specific problems, specific to who badly produced them. Expensive medical conditions, no socializing, being raised in a little cage, bad food, poor temperament. The foster I have now was a stud in a puppymill. He has a heart murmur that will cut his life expectancy in half. I've had two crazy pet store papillons that would bite your head off. Do pet stores and other nonreputable sources care about matching you with a puppy that will fit your lifestyle? No. If you want to decrease the number of dogs in shelters, then decrease the number of puppies produced and sold by uncaring people. Then you can tell me not to buy my next puppy from a responsible breeder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information