• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 nycgirl56

nycgirl56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:21 AM

Someone told me that dogs will naturally seek out a secure place to sleep, or den. If this is true, what about dogs that sleep in bed with their masters? I was told that domestic dogs naturally create their own safe area such as underneath the table, bed, or near furniture when there is no other place provided for them to sleep. So I was told that in this manner, dog crate training is not a cruel thing and that after a short time the dogs become accustomed to the crate and regard it as their own place, and a place where they can feel secure. I noticed that my fiance's dogs sleep with him and one of them is very anxious around people. They also eliminate themselves when he's gone to work for more than 8 hours. He's very much against crate training, but I see the benefits of giving them a safe zone, and using it to help with their anxiety and elimination problems. But only if crate training in-fact is not cruel. I am also allergic to their hair. So, once we get married, I asked my fiance not to bring the dogs into our bed, and please keep the bedroom a "zone-free" area from animal dander, urine and hair. Could his dogs benefit from having their own sleeping safe zone, whether it be a crate or doggie bed? Could sleeping with him and not having their own space be contributing to their anxiety and elimination? They follow him around the house and never let him out of their sight. Could this be another sign of anxiety and too much attachment to their master? All advice welcome. :-) Thank you.

#2 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  • Interests:Dogs///reading///outdoors///photography///fantasy collectibles///my Husband.

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:27 AM

Always used crates here. In fact my year ole male English mastiff still sleeps in his and when I go out. When he can be trusted the door will be left open and if he quits using it it will be put away. I think using a crate properly is a very useful tool. BUT not as far as leaving them in one for 8 or more hours. If you are getting married these issues need to be thought out beforehand to see if he is willing to compromise. Mine after being given free roam sleep on the couch usually not under a table or chair etc.And they have all been healthy happy pups!
Viv---adoring Aughra -English Mastiff- Dargon- English Mastiff. Always in our hearts Jorth- English Mastiff- Rontu--Bull Mastiff-- Annie and Blu--Dear Basset Hounds.Drac and Timber--Chow Chows Baron-- Rottweiller

#3 JMM

JMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:26 AM

Crates can be a very useful training tool if used appropriately. However, you will need to put in more work than just bringing the crate out to get these dogs housetrained and address the anxiety issues. I would do this NOW. Do not wait until you get married. You and your fiance need to consult a professional and get to work now. It will take time to resolve these problems. It needs to be done before you move in.

#4 nycgirl56

nycgirl56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:46 AM

I agree! Thank you! I'm glad to hear crate training is not cruel if used properly. I've been reading up on it as much as possible. I'm a dog lover too, but I don't share some of the same belief's or lifestyle pet habits as my fiancé. I know he loves his pets, but I think he could take better care of them besides just giving them plenty of food, lots of treats, water, his bed to sleep in, and anti flee sprays They are way over-due for their shots. The dogs had their last bath and nail clippings six months ago, and they smell bad (which by the way doesn't bother him). They're never been walked on a leash, and they just run outside for a few minutes a day to eliminate. So, they don’t get any real fun exercise. He won’t even take them to a dog park. I don't think he spends much time playing with them either. I think he uses his dogs more for his own emotional comfort, but what about the dogs needs for exercise and fresh air? He says putting them on a leash is cruel and crate training is out of the question. He actually used to breed dogs and had up to 15 dogs in his house at one time. He never used a Kennel for breeding. If we can't work these things out, and he chooses his dogs over me, (and I actually think I can take better care of the dogs), I guess I'll just have to grow some fur and a tail and hope for the best! Geez.... Thanks for the advice guys.

#5 JMM

JMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:41 AM

I would invest some serious time in counseling before continuing this relationship. It does not sound healthy.

#6 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  • Interests:Dogs///reading///outdoors///photography///fantasy collectibles///my Husband.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:11 AM

I agree with JMM :)
Viv---adoring Aughra -English Mastiff- Dargon- English Mastiff. Always in our hearts Jorth- English Mastiff- Rontu--Bull Mastiff-- Annie and Blu--Dear Basset Hounds.Drac and Timber--Chow Chows Baron-- Rottweiller

#7 allaboutourdogs

allaboutourdogs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:42 AM

Crating your dog for me is not good. It will make your dog feel like you don't want to be with her. That is why my dog stays inside the house.
"Cheers,
Ann and my Australian Shepherd"

#8 godzchild1991

godzchild1991

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:my child [puppy] ruby.

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:58 AM

crate training could be a good or bad thing. just use it wisely, you dont want to leave your dog in thier crate for 8 hours, thats WAY to long. and about you leaving the room a "zone-free" this might be hard for the dogs exspecially if they are sleeping with your fiance every night. get some pro. help and these dogs will learn. (:

#9 Onnie's person

Onnie's person

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:27 AM

We have a potty-training puppy and find a crate very useful. We put her in the crate at night to sleep, and during the day while we are at work and she likes it. Sometimes she walks in herself during the day for a nap. Just make sure the dogs are given potty breaks before and after they are put in, and I agree that long stays are not a good idea. Stays in the crate need to be especially short at first, because they need time to get used to the crate.It's a good idea to leave the door open and play with them in the crate to get them used to it. Never use the crate as a punishment, music and toys are a good idea to keep them entertained as well. Or a healthy bone if they like those. Make sure the crate is big enough for them to stretch and move around. (our puppy is tiny and can play easily in her big crate). We also have a water bottle for her to drink from, and a comfy pad for the bottom of the crate, so she can be comfortable. Sometimes I rotate toys inside, and change the music for her so she isn't bored while we are at work. :) Luckily I'm part-time right now, so she doesn't have to be in there long, but eventually when she can be trusted alone in the apartment, we want to give her more free-roam, but not until she is past her chewing and peeing stage. :)I think crate training your dogs to sleep in a crate, or on a bed if they can be trusted is a very good idea. We all need our own space sometimes.

#10 sckruse

sckruse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:My puppies, my job, and combining the two.

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:29 AM

I have done both. And still do, depending on the dog. Growing up, our dogs would howl and whine and throw a fit everytime they were put inside a crate, even for a few minutes. Now all my dogs get crated for at least a few months. My oldest dog (3 years) was crated at night until he was over 6 months and I could trust him not to pee in my room at night. He now sleeps on my bed or next to my bed, his choice, and has free reign of the house while I am at work. He was two before I would let him roam the house with me gone. Loved his crate, would wander in and sleep even with me there. My middle dog is just now 9 months and I have had him for 4 months. He still stays in a kennel when I am at work, but since I was comfortable with his house breaking he sleeps in my room with me and has run of the house at night. When I leave I tell him "into your room" and he will run into it. Give him a treat or bone and he is happy. My current baby is between 3 and 4 months, and sleeps in the kennel at night and, if not outside, while I am gone. He is still getting housebroken and still teething, so no freedoms yet (had him three days). Loves the kennel, will often bolt down the hallway and run into the kennel, giving me a look of "bedtime, close the door." For my puppies, they will remain kenneled until I can trust them not to pee inside or destroy anything, but free reign after. When they stop using the kennel I will take them away, but in the three years since I got my oldest dog, a kennel has not been put away for more than a few months. They dictate when they are through. Not professional advice, but my experiences with kennels.

#11 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:55 AM

Umm crating a dog does NOT mean it is not in the house!!!!!! Just when young and it cannot be watched when a person is busy or at night.Allaboutourdogs mione are with me 24/7 except when sleeping. AND our 14 month old male mastiff is still in his crate at night. he goes in on his own when we go to bede. he would want to romp all night otherwise with our other mastiff. his crate is in our bedroom. When he can be trusted he will have free roam. crate training is a very useful tool IF used right. I also tether my young pups to me when we first get them so I know the second they need to go out when i am too busy to watch them. OR they go in their crate to nap.

#12 MomsHome

MomsHome

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:30 PM

hmmm...I never use crates. Never have and never will. I don't like htem and I have never had issues training and or my dog feeling safe without them. If you choose to use them I don't think they are bad but I won't. I don't know how long your finace has had the dog but if that dog is used to sleeping with him you may not be able to fully break the dog from getting in the bed. I also don't believe sleeping with your dog will cause the dog to be full of aniexty. When a dog comes home with you you become their pack. Packs tend to stay close. My present dog has her own bed and do to her poking me with her soft sweet nsoe all ngiht she now has to sleep in the living room. lol The issue with your finances dog is why I also never, ever allow a dog to sleep on the bed or allow an dog on any of my furiture. she has a bed her own giant pillow and she has her own reg size throw. She does not need mine. you will have to most likely give her a bed in another room and shut the door so she can't get into the bedroom and be sure she will protest in many ways.
BEWARE: I'm dyslexic. German Shepherd Owner to Marley aka: sweet girl. Missing: Ollie, Ski and Zooie. All our dogs are rescues and each come with great stories but I'll save your ears. :)

#13 bbmarie22

bbmarie22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

Both of my dogs have been crate trained and I fully recommend it to others considering it. After a dog has been crate trained they will feel very comfortable and safe in there. They both enjoy going in there at night to go to sleep and sometimes I even find them in there snoozing during the day when I am working in my home office. People also need to consider the safety issues of puppies being left out of their crates during the day. They can chew on or eat things that are harmful to themselves. If you have a puppy and want to eventually leave them out of their crates you should wait until their chewing and curiosity phase is over with then slowly leave them out by leaving them unattended for about 10-15 min a time and working up to the entire day. It goes without saying that you should also make sure your home is dog friendly (no edible rat poison or anything like that out). Your dogs will feel plenty of love if you don't abuse the crate by leaving them in there for extended periods of time. I would say 8 hours is the max. Just make sure that it is a cozy space and is large enough for them to feel comfortable.

#14 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:16 AM

Anyone who thinks crates are cruel simply do not know how to use them properly. Our mastiff is not quite a year and a half--his crate is still up--even tho he is not put in anymore he goes in to chew a bone or sleep even at night for a bit. They are a very useful tool. We have every size made rofl. :D

#15 Emilie25513

Emilie25513

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:13 AM

I think it still depends on how you treat your dog. Crating is not at all bad if you spend enough time with him and show him how much you value him. Its just a matter showing him your love. He may be on the loose, free to roam around the house but if you're ignoring him, its just as cruel. Just let him feel that the crate is his own place where he sleeps and not a prison. Let him roam around to play and crate him only during nighttime and when you're away. If you need more tips and guideline on raising your dog, Get this download for FREE!

#16 GAPPYandCRUZZY

GAPPYandCRUZZY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:45 AM

Crates are fine. It only depends on the size of the crate and nature of the crate. Crates must be big for the dog to have space to walk little and do many things. They should be designed to fit the dog's needs.
Cardigan Welsh Corgis and German Shorthaired Pointer dogs have a way of finding the people who need them, filling an emptiness we don't even know we have.

#17 MissTonya

MissTonya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:02 AM

I have crate trained my dogs and it helps them a lot. They learn that the crate is a safe place. It makes it very easy when you travel with the dogs. Because the dog feels the crate is his space, he feels comfortable at a different location if he is in the crate. At home, he stays in the basement, but his crate is there too. I leave the crate open and he spends most of the time actually in the crate. I also feed him in the crate too. I have 2 dogs and if I don't put one in the crate with his food, the other dog would eat his food. I don't think there is anything cruel about the crate at all. My dogs love their crates and it makes for a smooth environment and cleaner house :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information