• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 happyhardcore

happyhardcore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:11 PM

hello, my dog is about a year old and i just got her. i need help with her potty training. ive caught her peeing and pooping in the house, and when i do, i interrupt her, put her on a leash and take her outside to a specific spot to go toilet. she sniffs the grass once, then sits down. i wait for about 15 minutes but then she just lies down, so i take her inside ive effectively removed the past pee and poop with vinegar and baking soda, and i know that because she goes potty randomly, not just in one spot. i have even taken her out for an hour once, but she wouldnt go potty. so i would take her inside, then when i turn my back for 10 seconds she goes toilet in the house. i have put a bit of her poop in the designated area, but that doesnt work. when i take her for walks, she poops but only pees a little bit at a time on different trees to mark her territory or something. when she does pee and poop on walks, i praise her and offer her treats that she normally loves, but she just doesnt take them. she is around 7 pounds and is a shih tzu cross breed. should i crate train her? if so would i be able to use a blocked kennel instead of a crate? thanks for your help.

#2 JMM

JMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:52 AM

The biggest issue is you, not her. We must set our dogs up for SUCCESS, not FAILURE. You NEVER turn your back on a dog you are potty training. If you are not literally looking at the dog, the dog should be confined. Confinement is up to you. I like the crate. Others like a baby gate for a small bathroom. Others like a small pen. Whatever it is, your dog must not potty in the space. Some dogs need a small space and no bedding. Take your dog out on a schedule. Feed on a schedule. Play on a schedule. Write the schedule out and check it off as you go every day. Get a small timer. Set it for 2 minutes. Only stay outside for the 2 minutes. If the dog has not gone, they get placed in confinement for 15-20 minutes and you try again. 2 minutes is plenty of time. When you know the dog has to poop, a short walk can help hurry it along. The physical activity can stimulate the dog to defecate. Here is a link with more information. http://www.dogchatfo...g-puppy-dog.htm

#3 GAPPYandCRUZZY

GAPPYandCRUZZY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:51 AM

You can do crate training or clicker training. They are both the same with regards to disciplining your dog. They must be applied while the dog is still a pup for as it grows it's hard to teach.
Cardigan Welsh Corgis and German Shorthaired Pointer dogs have a way of finding the people who need them, filling an emptiness we don't even know we have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information