• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joeyk30401

joeyk30401

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:31 AM

I have a female Lab that is seven years old, she has not had a heat cycle in 18 months and the last one she had she went through a false pregnancy. I would like to breed her but was wondering if this was a common problem or something I should be worried about.

#2 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
  • Interests:Dogs///reading///outdoors///photography///fantasy collectibles///my Husband.

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

At 7 why would you breed her? Has she been to the vet?? You cannot make money-- just contribute to the overflowing pet population--too many dogs in shelters. I do not mean to sound harsh but please she could have some major issues going on. Please have her vet checked. :mellow:
Viv---adoring Aughra -English Mastiff- Dargon- English Mastiff. Always in our hearts Jorth- English Mastiff- Rontu--Bull Mastiff-- Annie and Blu--Dear Basset Hounds.Drac and Timber--Chow Chows Baron-- Rottweiller

#3 Catsfriend

Catsfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:13 PM

This is an old posting and you may not read it, joeyk30401 - but, indeed, 7 years of dog age is no longer suitable for breeding, especially not in a large breed. According to European standards, breeding should stop at 6 years of age. What your bitch is going through is what, in humans, we call the climacterium. Give this retired elderly lady a good home, please, and treat her lovingly. I guess she deserves it after she has given you some precious puppies in previous times, when she still was young and sexy.

#4 HOPPER16

HOPPER16

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

I you happen to have a male dog I would keep an eye to see when he gets excited about her. Also next time she comes in even if it's a light heat or ghost heat I would take her in to get progesterone tests done on her to see if she's ovulating properly and to see if her cells are going through a cornification process to ensure that she can sustain a litter of healthy pups. There is also raspberry pills that help in reproductive health you may want to get her on. They call them "bitch pills".. hope this helps good luck! :)
Have a great day!
Our Blue French Bulldog puppies are amazing!
We have blue frenchies for sale now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information