• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eldamari

eldamari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:47 PM

couple of months ago, about 3, my mum brought back a male japanese spitz that her friend had given up on due to economic reasons. initially, he adjusted well into our household and i liked him. however, since last mth, he has began to bark at me whenever he sees me( that includes me coming out of my room to go to the bathroom. he is very protective of my younger sister and brother. what could had triggered these behavior? (i understand spitz are a kind ofguard breeds though). he just continues barking n barking and now my whole family is dreaded of this. i noticed the only time he doesnt bark at me is when i'm eating and he would come infront of me looking at the food. it gets me angry sometimes that he's always barking at me yet expects me to give him that juicy chicken :angry: is there anyway i can exploit this point to change his behavior towards me? PS i've included his photo

Attached Files

#2 JMM

JMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:32 AM

You could teach him to associate you moving around with food. Keep a treat pouch in your room. As you leave, toss treats for the dog. Be sure NOT to look at the dog. Eye contact will egg him on. Don't move quickly or with jerky motions. Move slowly and fluidly. If you have to move towards the dog, turn sideways and keep your head turned away.

#3 mr dog collar

mr dog collar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

Hi Eldamari, What a cute dog you have there. Dogs are naturally protective of their master. You will need a constant training and reward the dog with the food whenever they successfully completed their task. If normal training does not work there are many dog training collars out there that could help you train your dog. For example, citronella dog collars are highly recommended to help stop excessive barking. This collar will spray a harmless citronella fog into your dog's nose to attract its attention every time it barks. Good luck with training your dog :D :D :D
Hendra Lamlo - Dog Collars Australia

#4 fleabag

fleabag

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

Well i'm only supposing ..but it sounds like you are not considered the boss ..but a threat to HIS family ,your brother and sister..lol Do they spend more time playing with him and bonding?? Perhaps your body language is sending him the wrong message ..if he barks at you you might stare at him or look nervous and he interprets that as you being either a challenge or a threat even. I think you need to spend time with him ..making it worth his while to be your buddy ...bribery and corruption will go a long way ..so sitting with him ..and perhaps playing fetch ..rewarding him with a small treat when he responds... You and your siblings need to spend more time with him as a pack of 3 so he sees you as part of his family.. I'm only supposing because we really don't have the whole picture ..but it's a good place to start.

#5 Catsfriend

Catsfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:13 PM

@eldamari Look: This dog believes you are an intruder, and he wants to scare you off. To stop it, you have to show that you are stronger than him. * Shout at him really loud and sharp as soon as he starts barking and look straight into his eyes and point your forefinger right into his face (counter-attack). * Scare him by throwing something down on the floor next to him (counter-attack). This will stop his barking at least for a moment. * If he keeps on barking pick him up and get him out of the room (show your superior strength and that you are in command). * Slam the door in front of his nose. (Make clear he has to earn your approval.) * If he calms down, give him some scraps from the dinner table, preferrably a meaty bone of your T-Bone-Steak or your lamb chop. (Demonstrate your approval and willingness to make friends.) After that, he will most likely behave differently when you come out of your room next time. If not, repeat the procedure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information