• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 arnebchgrl

arnebchgrl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

My husband and I adopted a wonderful german shepherd last year. She came to us with no background, but was pretty easily seen she had been treated poorly, as she was timid at first and didn't allow us to even pet all of the way down her back (she seemed to expect us to swat her). Since we've had her over the last year, she's improved so very much - trusts us, walks well, has learned to play around other dogs, and has overall gained confidence. However, we are working on one issue we can't seem to figure out. Our dog does not seem to like visitors at our house. She jumps, lunges, barks, nips at most people when they are invited in the house. Prior to letting in our guests, we make her sit and stay - to which she always jumps up to inspect our visitor as soon as we turn our back and open the door. We are unsure of how to handle this. We've tried keeping her on a short leash to correct her as she has these behaviors, but it doesn't at all help her to relax - she's still mostly panting and pulling at the leash to run up to people. Any thoughts, suggestions? We adore her and are so proud of how far she has come in just a year, but this is difficult, as we feel unable to invite people to our house! :( Thank you!

#2 arnebchgrl

arnebchgrl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:40 PM

I should add that outside of our house she is fine with other people... it is only when people come into our house she acts this way. Help!

#3 JMM

JMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

Doorways are loaded spaces, especially for herding dogs. One approach is to place her in another room. Invite your guest in. Have them come into the house and sit down. Provide them with a bag of treats or a favorite toy. Bring your dog into the room on leash and have the person toss treats/toys to her. Be sure the person is careful NOT to make any eye contact. They should seemingly ignore the dog other than tossing cookies. I would try this approach first. See what you get and report back!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information