• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sapreena

Sapreena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

Anyone know of any supplements I can give my 10 y.o. chihuahua to help his heart health? He just had his annual checkup, and the vet found a slight heart murmur. All other indicators of a serious murmur checked out ok, so for now, it remains unmedicated. However, I would surely add any supplements to his diet to help his little heart. I know I can't cure it, but if we can keep him off of meds for as long as possible, that would be ideal. He currently eats 1 c of blue buffalo weight control wilderness food. I probably should have asked the vet this earlier, but I was happy to leave without another dog requiring daily meds! I didn't think to ask about supplements at the time. Thanks!

#2 Wild

Wild

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:19 AM

Call your vet about a vitamin c supplement. My present foster dog has a heart murmer, demodectic mange, ear infections (now cleared up) and my vet recommended at least 100 mg of C for a 22 pound dog. If you do use C, don't buy from Walmart, go to a health store.

#3 JMM

JMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:31 AM

I would supplement with fish oil and ask your vet if Coq10 would be helpful for your dog.

#4 carlito2002wgn

carlito2002wgn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

I agree with the previous poster. Fish oil does offer heart health benefits; however, your veterinarian will provide you with the best information. You can check out the website in my signature if you are interested. It covers a lot of information on the benefits of fish oil for dogs. Good luck with your little guy!
Always in search for ways to help my dogs live a happier and healthier life. http://efishoilfordogs.com Owned by five dogs and a wife.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information