• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 speedmaster

speedmaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

Hi everyone, Great forum!! My partner and myself recently moved to a country property where we could have horse and land etc. Our 6yo Staffy Boxer X who we have had from a puppy has always been used to 6 foot high fences that she couldn't see through and we have never had any problem with her trying to escape. Now we have a 3 foot high fence that is just a couple of wooden slats. We ran chicken wire around all of the 200 metre fencing and she dug under it. The problem is that she can see us saddling up the horses etc. and it drives her crazy. She never tries to jump, just digging. Then I went and did something that I seriously regret - I bought a electric shock collar fence. One shock of that on my girl was enough to turn me off it for good. I have used the sound only function on it and it seems to work but I'm sending it back because I just can't do it. I feel terrible for resorting to that but I was desperate and I learnt my lesson. Has anyone got any suggestions for helping with a digging dog? (she is not food orientated and treat training doesn't work) I've heard chilli powder works but I'm not sure on that one. Looking forward to your suggestions, James

#2 fleabag

fleabag

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

The plan is to lay the wire along the ground out from the fence ..so the wire you have now is fine but add another layer folded up a foot and out 2 foot. The idea is doggy digs at the actual fence not out where the wire starts ..

#3 JMM

JMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

Burrying wire fencing is a good idea You can try cayanne pepper sprinkled where she digs Another option is to run a hot wire around the bottom of the fence

#4 speedmaster

speedmaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

What's hot wire?

#5 Wild

Wild

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hotwire is electric wire. You may already use it with your horses. When the dog touches her nose or paw on the wire she gets a shock. If you use el wire, use a low voltage. Other wise, you lay chicken wire under the fence so the dog can't dig beyond the chicken wire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information