• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yamahaboy_91

yamahaboy_91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

I have a new chocolate lab puppy and my problem is that everytime I leave the room my dog goes to the baby gate and sits there and cries even when there is other people in the room. I can't even go and take a shower or out for a couple hours with some friends without my dog crying the whole time. My dad told me last time I left for 2 hours my pup had a nervous breakdown and cried the whole time and pee'd like ten times. I don't no what to do I can't even leave my house without her freaking out.

#2 fleabag

fleabag

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

She needs to know you come back..so start by leaving for a few minutes..and come back before she cries. Each time extend the time a little, go out the door, walk around the house and come back.Don't get enthusiastic ..just walk in as if it's totally ordinary.. She has decided you're her safe person .. How old is she?? some of her behaviour could be just cos she's a baby.

#3 yamahaboy_91

yamahaboy_91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

She is 12 weeks and done it from almost day 1 and as soon as I leave she cries almost instantaneous

#4 JMM

JMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:42 AM

I highly recommend the book I'll Be Home Soon by Patricia McConnell from dogwise.com It goes through step-by-step treatment for separation anxiety.

#5 fleabag

fleabag

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:16 AM

She needs company ..and it seems you are her sibling ..get her a soft toy to be her brother/sister...does she have a bed and a box of toys ,a place to call her own?? So when you are sitting in the loungeroom she should also have her "sibling" with her..so if you leave she doesn't feel alone ..grin Overnight in her bed ,a hotwater bottle or heated block wrapped in a towel and a clock ticking or a radio turned down low to keep her company..and her brother/sister..

#6 yamahaboy_91

yamahaboy_91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

Thank you I will try all the ideas but fleabag I'm afraid if I put stuff like that in get crate she will just rip it to pieces

#7 fleabag

fleabag

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

She's a pup ..so most likely she will ..grin ..so don't spend a fortune..go to a second hand shop for her sibling .. Give her things she's allowed rip up..and teach her the no no's.I gave my dog the cardboard innards from toilet rolls ,empty milk cartons , plastic pots. It kept her busy and amused.

#8 lcownie11

lcownie11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

fleabag idea is right. I did that also to a new pup. It is normal for her to act that way, it is better that you give her something that will keep her busy. A stuff toys will help a lot.
Insure4U - Your guide on choosing pet insurance to life insurance Australia.

#9 fleabag

fleabag

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:27 AM

When my dog first came home ..I removed anything I didn't want her to destroy to a safe zone ( no shoes on the floor for instance) I cant be there 24/7 ..and provided plenty of okay toys .. I also gave her a special space a cushion to sleep on, a box of toys..etc ..we did plenty of "training" well honestly at first she didn't get it ..but she loved the attention ..and once we got sit and stay..the rest was a piece of cake. Just be patient with her ..and when she's old enough see if your local vet runs a puppy pre-school..for BOTH of you ..grin ..and consider going to obedience training once she's old enough. Labs can be great at obedience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information