• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BellaDad

BellaDad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:16 AM

I am looking for what has worked for you with regard to stopping digging. I have a 9 month old golden retriever who consistently digs right near the walk and stairs. This undermines the footing of the stairs and has become a safety problem. I know a dog digs because of many reasons. I am pretty sure she is bored or looking for large rocks to lick. I have a nice yard but can not supervise her all the time. The other option is to leave her inside, which I don't want to do. So I need some practical tips. I am not using the dog pooh in the hole method, but along those lines, does cayanne pepper spread in the area work? Is is safe for the dog? She has a lot of toys outside and inside and we do play with her several times a day. Thanks for the options. :D

#2 Wild

Wild

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

There may be mice in there, if so she can hear them. You can try putting down cayenne pepper or black pepper. Otherwise, get some chicken wire, which is about 3' high with 1" wire hexagons. Lay the chicken wire where she likes to dig and cover it with dirt. If you have grass where she is digging the grass will grow right over it and hold it in place. When you buy the wire, tell the clerk what you are using it for; they will have plastic or metal pins that will hold the wire down. I'd just like to add that she may not be getting enough exercise or mental stimulation. Take her for a nice hard run in the morning. She may nap the rest of the day, in which case you can have her inside and know what she is doing. An obedience class would also be nice and will help to ease her boredom. Look for a positive class, no chokers.

#3 MissTonya

MissTonya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:25 AM

My dog was digging in 2 spots. One was at the edge of the patio, the other by a small Japanese Maple. There seemed to be nothing of interest in either spot, yet the digging persisted. I eventually fenced off those areas (with gardening fence - nothing expensive or elaborate), took my dog out on a leash away from the digging areas, planted grass seed, let the seed grow in, then stopped using the leash and removed the fence. Once I had the area properly grassed, and the spot where the digging was grown back, the interest in digging seemed to end and I don't think my dog even remembers that he was once obsessed with that spot. I know this seems like a lot with the fence, and leash and what not. In the event that you are not as patient as I, the above suggestion with pepper is a very positive one from what I have heard. The smell will deter the dog, especially if he gets in there. Then the taste will also distract him. Plus, you are not damaging the ground or your hard with any chemicals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information