Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information

15 week old male toy poodle pees all the time! - Health - Dog Chat Forums

Photo

15 week old male toy poodle pees all the time!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gwen Brown

Gwen Brown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:53 AM

Hey everyone :D I have a 15 week old male toy poodle. He does well when we take him outside to potty. Problem is that about 15 minutes later he's peeing again in the house! I thought maybe he's not finishing, so I started staying outside a little longer, but it didn't help. He's always on a leach when taken outside & we take him out at least 2 times in an hour or more often if we see him going toward the door. He's being kennel trained & we do monitor his eating & drinking. We did buy the poochie bells about a month ago, but he's still scared of them. We still ring them when we bring him outside to potty, hoping he'll get used to them. Don't know if it's submissive, territorial or just being a young puppy?? I would appreciate any advice! Bringing him to the Vet. tomorrow for his final shots, so I'll asked the Vet. about it too. Thanks for your time Gwen :D

#2 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Interests:Dogs///reading///outdoors///photography///fantasy collectibles///my Husband.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

I say just young 2 times in one hour is nothing---even our mastiffs had -----at this age go out appx every 15-20 minutes to urinate.
Viv---adoring Aughra -English Mastiff- Dargon- English Mastiff. Always in our hearts Jorth- English Mastiff- Rontu--Bull Mastiff-- Annie and Blu--Dear Basset Hounds.Drac and Timber--Chow Chows Baron-- Rottweiller

#3 JMM

JMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

A playful puppy can urinate every 15 minutes and that can be normal. When you crate your pup, does he hold it in there for any length of time? When you say you monitor his drinking, do you restrict his access to water? Do you feel he drinks excessively? Is his urine yellow or clear? There are a number of medical problems such as urinary tract infections, liver shunts, and other congenital issues that can cause puppies to pee an unusual amount and typically with poor concentration (lighter color).

#4 Gwen Brown

Gwen Brown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

He does hold his urine in the kennel most of the time. In the morning it is wet though. I don't expect him to go all night without wetting. I'm sure that will come as he gets older. His urine is a light yellow sometimes, but mostly clear. Not sure what's considered a lot of water? He gets water every time we feed him, which is 3 times a day & a little bit through out the day in between his meals. Sometimes I think I should just give him all the water he can hold to see how soon he'd want more? Should we leave his water bowl out all the time? If he wants water or food he starts barking at the mat where his food usually is. LOL

#5 fleabag

fleabag

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

I'd leave his waterbowl out all the time ..and once he's drinking when and as much as he likes ..keep a journal of when he wants to go... The plan is as soon as pup wakes up ..it's out for a wee, after a feed, after a nap, after a game ... Pretty much when ever you think of it ..pups tend to just wee whenever ..like babies ..so it will take a little time before he "gets" that you have preferred places for him to go.

#6 JMM

JMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

Only restrict water while he is in the crate. Clear urine is NOT normal. Your puppy needs a vet visit ASAP.

#7 Gwen Brown

Gwen Brown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Hello everyone :) Brought Rocky to the Vet this past Monday for his last set of shots & talked to the Vet about his peeing. After asking me a few questions & checking him out, he thinks his peeing is normal for a puppy his age, but told me what to look for if he would start going more frequently. I'm so glad everything is okay! Thanks for all who commented & gave me advise! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information