• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Meg and Rustle

Meg and Rustle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

Rustle is 13 weeks old and we got her from the dogs home. She has been training well but is not interested in balls. I've tried tennis balls, soft kicking balls and a ball on a rope. I feel that fetch is such valuable excise that I need to teach her but how can I get her interested?

#2 fleabag

fleabag

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

Well fetch can be played with other things ..try a squeaky toy or something like that..a soft dolly or animal that is softer in the mouth perhaps.

#3 Meg and Rustle

Meg and Rustle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

good idea =D I'll give is a go with the teddy she's become fond of.

#4 fleabag

fleabag

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:25 AM

My dog also played fetch with the cardboard inner roll of toilet paper ..grin ..and it was good to rip to pieces too..lots of fun for a dog..lol

#5 Meg and Rustle

Meg and Rustle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

It's no good! she doesn't even follow it with her eyes!! :(

#6 fleabag

fleabag

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

Hmm try putting something on a string and dragging it..so she follows you along ..and gets the idea of chasing ..then we'll move onto fetch ..grin Or try throwing it from person to person over her head making a game of it that she NEEDS to join in..make the occassional "mistake" see if she'll rush in to "steal" it

#7 Meg and Rustle

Meg and Rustle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

good idea (touch wood) I might stuff the ball down a stocking =D My friend thought a ball that you fill up with food might get her thinking balls are good

#8 fleabag

fleabag

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

Some dogs just don't get fetch for ages ..my kelpie cross border ..never did fetch ..( she did grab and run..but not fetch ..lol)It wasn't cos she wasn't smart ..or was being difficult. One morning I went out to get the paper as usual..which was delivered and I walked out each morning ..the light bulb went on ..and she raced me ..got the paper and brought it back ..and fetched from that day on .. Oddly enough she'd use a dumb bell for agility..but that wasn't fetching in HER little mind ..sigh ..dogs!

#9 Meg and Rustle

Meg and Rustle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

I picked up a ball that you fill with food and she has worked it out =D. She follows it around no worries. The boredom of all the rain we've had over the past few days has really helped. I'll see if she starts to follow the empty ball over the coming days. Thanks Fleabag, Meg

#10 MissTonya

MissTonya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:30 AM

Your dog is ADORABLE!

#11 sabulba

sabulba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

Dogs most important part of life is its training time and this is the time after which dog is able to convey any pet lover to adopt. Dogs are normally love to play with the toys when they are alone and they also enjoy to play with the owner too. dog beds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information