• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 justfiveofus

justfiveofus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

We adopted a 4 month old Labrador Retriever from our local humane society. She's a really good dog and rarely barks or whines. My husband read up on how to train a dog and decided crate training would be the best method. She has taken to this fabulously. We've had her a week and *knock on wood* so far no accidents. She's sleeping about 6 hours at night and as soon as we hear her starting to move around in her crate we get up and take her outside. When she's in her crate if she has to go, she will bark and scratch a little at the bottom of the crate near the door. I am assuming that these are all good signs. My husband feels she's crate trained and I would tend to agree, but since this is our first pet we really have no clue. I've read that you're supposed to keep puppies right next to you on a leash if they're in the house, is that true for a puppy of her age? I know she was used to running around as much as she wanted when she was at the humane society. We let her out in the house for fairly short intervals several times a day and we let her go outside to play whenever she seems to want to. We'd like her to be out of her crate more. At what point can we stop walking around with her and watching every move she makes in the house? Should we increase her time out of her crate? I guess we're just not sure what to do now. Like I said this is our first pet and we want to do it right so any advice would be really appreaciated!

#2 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Dogs///reading///outdoors///photography///fantasy collectibles///my Husband.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:18 AM

At 4 months as she is doing well I would let her have more freedom--just not going into other rooms alone etc. Keep a close eye on her--take her out as soon as you think she needs to go. Mine aren't in their crates around that age unless for nap time and sleep time or if we leave the house. :)
Viv---adoring Aughra -English Mastiff- Dargon- English Mastiff. Always in our hearts Jorth- English Mastiff- Rontu--Bull Mastiff-- Annie and Blu--Dear Basset Hounds.Drac and Timber--Chow Chows Baron-- Rottweiller

#3 justfiveofus

justfiveofus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

Thanks! I figured that most dogs this age were probably out more but since she's never been trained in any fashion before we started from the beginning. I didn't want to give her too much freedom too fast since she has done so well with the crate training. We've had her exactly one week today and before that she was at a shelter for almost two months.

#4 sophia_dave101

sophia_dave101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Crate dog training is a very primary principle established on the oldest inborn behavior in dogs. Dogs are den animals who wanted to have a safe, clean and location apart from all forms of disturbance. Crate dog training used this instinct to offer assurance when you're not around, assist housebreaking and to provide your dog a secure haven every time.

#5 willowlynn

willowlynn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

It sounds like you are doing great. I just wanted to jump in and recommend a basic obedience class for puppies. It's a great way to bond with your pup and she will learn social skills as well. Find a trainer that uses positive reward training, such as treats and cookies. Clicker training is amazing too. Best of luck!

#6 ashtonluise

ashtonluise

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:music,reading

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Crate training is one of the most efficient and effective method ways to train a puppy. Training of puppy is now so easy because it is the process of teaching a pet to accept a crate or cage as familiar and safe location.

#7 nikkita

nikkita

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Nikkita Anderson is an expert Dog Trainer, she has been teaching people’s dogs how to behave for 20 years; she currently run a dog training school in San Diego and she know this is what she was going to be doing the rest of her career.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

Crate training is one of the efficient and effective ways that will train a puppy. A single important aspect of the puppy training that will reward and easily praise with the puppy in the right thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information