• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jhonalid1

Jhonalid1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

I have a 13 or 14 year old German Shorthair Pointer. She was a rescue and was about 2 when I got her by estimation of the vets, which would make her now 14ish. She had an awfully rough life before me and it took me quite a while to gain her trust to make her the dog she is today. I think many of you know the whole story, but this is the shortened version. She was also diagnosed with Canine Disciod Lupus a few years back. It has localized in her nose making it dry and prone to cracking. She takes steroids during flare ups and we've gotten it down to just Vit B supplements to ward off the flare ups. She has also been taking Metacam as needed for arthritis in her back end. We have never figured out why, but she is very sensitive about her rear. She is the friendliest dog, but if another dog comes and sniffs a bit too vigorously, she will growl and sometimes cry/yelp. We have noticed recently that she seems to be struggling a bit more with the pain/instability in her back end. We went to an outdoor pet event over the weekend and when we got home, she had to be carried up the 4 stairs to the house. We didn't walk that much. :( I've scheduled her a vet check up as it is about time for her 1 yr check up anyways. I think part of the problem is the arthritis and part is muscle fatigue. My question is, what medications, besides the Metacam have any of you had experience with? Any other suggestions? She does take a glucosamine supplement as well. I've heard bad things about Rimadyl. I just wanted to hear some personal opinions and experiences. I'd like to have some information in my head when I go and talk to the vet. I realize she is getting up there and this is just one of those things I am going to have to start dealing with. I don't think she is at ~that~ point yet where I need to start thinking about other options, but I want to try and get some control over the arthritis pain. The Metacam was "as needed" but maybe a daily dose is called for now? Anyways....any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • Interests:Dogs///reading///outdoors///photography///fantasy collectibles///my Husband.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

No expert here but when our 13 year old basset had hip problems----- metacam on a daily basis helped a lot. Even if it might cause problems in the future we simply wanted her to be as comfy as possible for what life she had left. Sorry you are dealing with this issue. Hard to do I know.
Viv---adoring Aughra -English Mastiff- Dargon- English Mastiff. Always in our hearts Jorth- English Mastiff- Rontu--Bull Mastiff-- Annie and Blu--Dear Basset Hounds.Drac and Timber--Chow Chows Baron-- Rottweiller

#3 JMM

JMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:59 AM

A daily NSAID can be safe if you have regular bloodwork checked with your vet. You also need to know that you cannot give Metacam and steroids at the same time. If your dog needs to be on steroids, you CANNOT give metacam at the same time. Often you have to try a few different NSAIDs to find one that is most effective for your dog. I like Metacam or Zubrin as first choices. If those aren't effective enough I'd try Rimadyl and them Deramaxx as my last choices. Another great option for arthritis and back pain in dogs is acupuncture. It is totally harmless to your dog and worth a shot!

#4 harrontrueman

harrontrueman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:15 AM

Septic arthritis is due to an disease in the combined arthritis which is the follow up to one of many combined insults.You should seriously consider what kind of your dogs lifestyle has and if it is this bad. Euthanasia may be the kindest choice for seriously boring pets.
Purebredbreeders.com, a healthier pets and dog breeding organisation

#5 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • Interests:Dogs///reading///outdoors///photography///fantasy collectibles///my Husband.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

Seriously boring pets???????
Viv---adoring Aughra -English Mastiff- Dargon- English Mastiff. Always in our hearts Jorth- English Mastiff- Rontu--Bull Mastiff-- Annie and Blu--Dear Basset Hounds.Drac and Timber--Chow Chows Baron-- Rottweiller

#6 fleabag

fleabag

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

My old dog had issues, I added glucosamine to her daily food, fish oil, added lots of vegies and fibre to help reduce her weight. Made large floor cushions for her, added steps to my bed ..cos she'd always slept at my feet. Got ramps to lots of places .. I lifted her on and off things so she didn't jar her poor old bones.. And as with Viv ..I hope the language issues are in translation ..my dog was quite happy with her life ..it worried ME more than her.

#7 lindadwyer

lindadwyer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

my old shepherd had anal fissures, very painful condition and also arthritis, she was 13 at the time. Vet put her on predazone for the fissures and tremadole for pain. She was on this for about a year, she still ate well and showed interest in what was going on around her, after a year or so she started loosing control of her bowels, I dealt with that, then one day she fell, there are four steps leading to my front door, she fell coming up the steps and broke her foot. I took her to the vet and he said she had been on the pred for so long she would not heal and with her issues surgery was not an option anyway as she may now wake up. So I had to make the decision to put her down. It was a very hard decision but I couldn't leave her in that condition so I did what I had to do. I had her since she was 7 weeks old and it was a hard thing to do but it was the only thing I could do for her. I still miss my old girl but I know she isn't suffering and is at rest.

#8 chatterdog

chatterdog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

Hi Have you heard of a product called runaround that is sold by a company in Swaffham, Norfolk. It is purely homopathic and is sold by a company called Doghealth in Norfolk 01760 726340. It contains shark cartilage, green lipped mussel extract. It is not a drug and contains Mucopolysaccharids, protein complexes, collagen, glyoaminoglycons, chondroitin sulphate necessary to protect joints from wear and tear and to prevent damage to connective tissues and bones. It also contains ester-c, a potentiated form viatamin c which is less iriitating ot the intestine and more absorbable, vitamin e which helps preserve muscle cell membrane stability. Runabround helps normalmuscle, skeletal and joint movement and maintenace by assisting the lubrication of joints and maintaining their suppleness. I have used this product on my dogs and have seen a massive improvement. I have also recommended it to friends and family and they to have seen great improvements. It is a powder and goes in your dogs food. The weight of the dog determines how much you use. it is not expensive and comes in two sizes so try the small size first and see how your dog responds. Hope this helps

#9 magicmike141

magicmike141

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Hi All, I am new at this site and I'm glad to be a member. I myself is a dog lover no doubt. One of my pooch, a terrier passed away 2 years ago and I still think of him everyday. He's been with me for 14 yrs. The other dog I have is a mix of many miniature breed and he's about 5 yrs old now. <br /><br />Please also be sure to check my pet video site, it would help out a lot.<br /><br />http://yourpetclip.com/

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

Try asking your vet about Adequan injections. Adequan is a form of glucosamine that is much faster-acting when injected than given orally. It can be used in conjunction with oral supplements.
I lie belly-up
In the sunshine, happier than
You ever will be.

Posted Image

#10 Cocoa'sMom

Cocoa'sMom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

You said exactly what I was thinking.

#11 nikkita

nikkita

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Nikkita Anderson is an expert Dog Trainer, she has been teaching people’s dogs how to behave for 20 years; she currently run a dog training school in San Diego and she know this is what she was going to be doing the rest of her career.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

I read somewhere, I can't remember where, but it says there that there's already a laser treatment for arthritis for pets.

#12 dopplerstale

dopplerstale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

That is very interesting to hear Nikkita, if you could share the article it could light a shade for some dog owners. I bet if is true, its very expensive at the moment.

#13 josechella

josechella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:41 AM

Not a supplement, but warm water swimming is really good for arthritis.

Pets For Pounds - Dog Walking, Pet Sitting And Pet Grooming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information