12 replies to this topic

#1 perriejinnie

perriejinnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:40 PM

I want to know some tips from you guys to help dogs lose weight. My friend has a Labrador and he is gaining weight quite easily. Is there any training and diet restriction for Lab. and other dog breeds to prevent obesity?

I love dogs. :wub:

#2 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts
  • Interests:Dogs///reading///outdoors///photography///fantasy collectibles///my Husband.

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:11 AM

No salt green beans added to the food can help reduce the amount of food--how much exercise does the dog get?

Viv---- Dargon- English Mastiff. Jutz- English Mastiff-- Always in our hearts--Aughra- English Mastiff- Jorth- English Mastiff- Rontu--Bull Mastiff-- Annie and Blu--Dear Basset Hounds .Drac and Timber--Chow Chows- Baron-- Rottweiller

#3 LeahA

LeahA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:38 AM

It really depends on what his size and activity level is, have medical causes been ruled out by a vet, and what/how much food the dog is being fed.

#4 perriejinnie

perriejinnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:21 PM

Yes, and it is also depending upon the breed of the dog. For example, the Labrador needs comparatively more exercise than most of the other breeds.

I love dogs. :wub:

#5 RandyMiller

RandyMiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

There are diet food products available in pet stores. One can opt for these after consulting the vet.

#6 TheDogLine

TheDogLine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in different kinds of Electric Bark Collars, electric dog fences, remote dog training, and dog training products

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:22 PM

I want to know some tips from you guys to help dogs lose weight. My friend has a Labrador and he is gaining weight quite easily. Is there any training and diet restriction for Lab. and other dog breeds to prevent obesity?

Hi,

I suggest you give him enough food, not too much, not too less. Usually, I give my dog 1 major meal in the morning and a light snack in the afternoon after I take him to walk. I also let him run and play for 1-2 hrs per day so he will get his exercise. Before I forget, he needs a lot of water so he will feel full.

#7 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts
  • Interests:Dogs///reading///outdoors///photography///fantasy collectibles///my Husband.

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:50 AM

Mine are fed 3 times a day in smaller quantities to prevent bloat--which occurs in giant breeds and deep chested dogs.

Viv---- Dargon- English Mastiff. Jutz- English Mastiff-- Always in our hearts--Aughra- English Mastiff- Jorth- English Mastiff- Rontu--Bull Mastiff-- Annie and Blu--Dear Basset Hounds .Drac and Timber--Chow Chows- Baron-- Rottweiller

#8 bristolvet

bristolvet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Dog Care

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:25 PM

Give your dog a proper meal. Daily Walk is very very important for your dog. Play with your dog some outdoor games in park and open environment...

#9 alexmercer

alexmercer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Dogs

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

You just have to spend time with them doing physical activities like walking, jogging, playing fetch, and do not feed them extra food. You just need to be strict with its food intake.

#10 SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:13 AM

Pics of the dog would be helpful, but always rule out medical issue first. From there it's proper diet and exercise.

#11 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:41 AM

You just have to spend time with them doing physical activities like walking, jogging, playing fetch, and do not feed them extra food. You just need to be strict with its food intake.

feed them a GOOD food--not like the stuff you buy in your local grocery store also

#12 TheDogLine

TheDogLine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in different kinds of Electric Bark Collars, electric dog fences, remote dog training, and dog training products

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

Know the ideal weight for your dog's breed, a leisurely stroll is nice, but if you’re looking to lose weight and maintain that weight loss you need to get power walking (or running if you can!) to make sure those calories are getting used, If your pet is acting too hungry when you know he’s getting enough to eat, try adding in some fresh, steamed green beans, your veterinarian can also help you rule out ailments that can cause obesity, and always monitor your dog's weight. 

#13 JPET7

JPET7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:I love dogs and I paint.

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:41 PM

Yes feeding your dog less for each meal will help reduce weight. Sometimes feeding just once or twice a day is good in reducing weight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information