I own both the male and the female. The male is, from what the breeder told me, and what I saw, and based on what three veterinarians have told me, is a wolf hybrid. The mother was a purebred Siberian husky and the father was a wolf. My female is a purebred Siberian husky. They have both been given clean bills of health by three different veterinarians (I switched once when I lived in Tennessee because I had a friend that worked as a vet tech and I moved to her clinic), and then I moved to Dallas and found a vet there. The male has an OFA score of Good on both hips (he got an excellent from one, and good from the other two), the female was rated Excellent on both hips. I have found homes already from friends and acquaintances for these puppies, and intend on keeping one of the puppies. I posted this question on a different dog breeder forum and my question was never answered, but people only wanted to judge and tell me to spay and neuter my pets. So...I just want to clear that up now. I am looking for an answer to the questions below, not for people to tell me that I should spay and neuter my pets. That does nothing to answer these questions and just ads to the frustration.
On Saturday, August 27th, I woke up in the morning to find that she was bleeding. The day before I noticed that her vulva was beginning to swell and become a bright pinkish color. So I figured she was in heat and that this would last for about 2 weeks. Cool. So I bought dog diapers and that was that. I was not especially wanting to breed them this fall, but was wanting to wait for the spring.
On Monday the 5th, my male mounted her and they tied, and as of that morning she was having a bloody discharge still. This was the first time that they tied. It didn't last long, as my female broke the tie before I could stop her and she ran off to the other room. My male was fine and the female was too. She was licking her vulva, which I know is normal after mating. She did continue to have a bit of a bloody discharge throughout the day, but I did notice that it was becoming less dark red from mostly blood to more clear but still very blood colored.
On Tuesday the 6th, he mounted her and they tied again. This time I intervened and tried to hold her in place so that she could not break the tie. She wiggled free and broke the tie after about 5-6 minutes. Again, both dogs were fine and no injuries. Since Tuesday evening she has not had as much discharge of any sort, but when there is, it is still pinkish in color. My male has not mounted her and tied since Tuesday however he is acting crazy around her and consistently tries to lick her vulva and mount her, but she will not let him mount.
I noticed this evening that her vulva is still swollen, but is no longer a bright pinkish color, and now more of a grayish-white, like the surrounding flesh.
So my question is this. Is there a chance that she is pregnant or will become from those two ties? Now that her vulva has returned to a normal color, though it is still swollen, is she still fertile? Is that why the male is still acting crazy around her and trying to lick her and mount her? And if she is still fertile, why is she rejecting him? If she is not fertile, why is he still acting crazy?
Thanks for the help!