dog allergy dog licking problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Giddy Up Doggy

Giddy Up Doggy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:jack Russell terriers, hiking, gardening, painting, drawing, ranching, rodeo

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:26 AM

My female dog, Lizzie, is a retired momma dog. She licks her feet so much that the fur has been licked off of her toes. The Vet suggested allergy to grass and has me giving her Zyrtec. It isn't helping. She also licks/bathes my other females and will do so for as long as the other girl lets her, sometimes up to an hour. She was a great momma and loved bathing her puppies as well. They were always sparkling clean :) So I am wondering if it is more of a fettish or nervous habit than an allergy?? Any thoughts?

Giddy Up Doggy - Gear for Dogs

http://giddyupdoggy.com

#2 willowlynn

willowlynn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:06 AM

Could be a nervous habit, since she's licking the other dogs.  Can you try to distract her with a long lasting chew toy?  (think frozen kong).  You can also further explore allergies, what food does she eat?

#3 Giddy Up Doggy

Giddy Up Doggy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:jack Russell terriers, hiking, gardening, painting, drawing, ranching, rodeo

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:46 AM

I could try the distraction, when I am with her. The other dogs seem to like the bath though LOL!

I have considered other allergies. She is a picky eater. I have had a hard time finding something she likes. She likes Victor brand Professional Super Premium Dog Food. I have tried Blue Buffalo, Nutro Naturals and found this and she likes it. I have considered raw but I have 6 dogs who want what the other has so that would mean switching for all of them and that I just can not afford. I was considering a grain free choice IF she will eat it. The one she eats now has Sorghum, Millet and Oat. None of these are your typical allergen so not sure that is the issue either.

Giddy Up Doggy - Gear for Dogs

http://giddyupdoggy.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information