Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information

Older small dog aggressive towards larger dogs - Behaviour Problems - Dog Chat Forums

Photo

Older small dog aggressive towards larger dogs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 paltgkla1

paltgkla1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:22 AM

Our dog is a male chihuahua/shih tzu mix, and he is 10 years old. For our family, he is the perfect dog, and he even gets along with most dogs of similar or smaller size. He becomes aggressive with larger dogs though, and barks, kicks, and even tries to attack sometimes, even when the larger dog is being submissive.

We have learned to live with this, but the issue is that my boyfriend has a pit bull mix, and our inability to bring the dogs together is becoming a problem. His dog is extremely friendly and gentle, just large and energetic. Our dogs have never met because I know mine will become aggressive immediately.

How should I proceed? My dog is already very well-trained, except in this one area. Could training of some sort be beneficial at this stage, or is there anything else I can do?

#2 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Interests:Dogs///reading///outdoors///photography///fantasy collectibles///my Husband.

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:31 AM

Well put both on a lead---like apart enough so aggression is not an issue. Be calm--let them do this for a few days if your dog gets aggressive---say No in a firm voice take her on lead out of the room. Make him sit be calm treat--take him back in this might take a bit but if your boyfriend does the same thing make his dog--- stay calm treat--lead him in patience is the key they might not ever bond but may be co exist

Viv---- Dargon- English Mastiff. Always in our hearts--Aughra- English Mastiff- Jorth- English Mastiff- Rontu--Bull Mastiff-- Annie and Blu--Dear Basset Hounds .Drac and Timber--Chow Chows- Baron-- Rottweiller

#3 Ashlesage07

Ashlesage07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:42 PM

Training to dogs is the key to solution.

Dogs should be trained in a way from his birth, which could reflect a manner of dog.

This dogs are having a mentally to bark on a smaller age dogs.

you can get quality trained dog at pomskies

#4 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Interests:Dogs///reading///outdoors///photography///fantasy collectibles///my Husband.

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:49 AM

Training to dogs is the key to solution.
Dogs should be trained in a way from his birth, which could reflect a manner of dog.

This dogs are having a mentally to bark on a smaller age dogs.

you can get quality trained dog at pomskies

You did not make much sense here sorry-

Viv---- Dargon- English Mastiff. Always in our hearts--Aughra- English Mastiff- Jorth- English Mastiff- Rontu--Bull Mastiff-- Annie and Blu--Dear Basset Hounds .Drac and Timber--Chow Chows- Baron-- Rottweiller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information