3 replies to this topic

#1 Milothelemoncocker

Milothelemoncocker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:10 PM

Hi, 

We picked our new 9 week old cocker pup up last friday (just over a week ago) and since bringing him home he has never done a firm poo. They vary each time but are soft most of the time. He has done a few firmer ones but also this morning he has done a stool with mucous.. 

We brought him home on Friday 28th and the following Monday he was wormed and had his first set of vaccinations and also started to gradually change his food. 

After his worming treatment he was pooing out worms for the next few days and this stopped on Friday but the whole time these were always soft. His first day on 100% new food was yesterday which may have been too quick of a transition. We also then found pebbles in his poo yesterday however these seem to have passed through fine and we have got rid of all of the pebbles in the garden so there is no risk of him getting them...

I am unsure if the soft stools are because of all the various above issues or if we should him back to the vets. He is due his 2nd vaccination and 2nd lot of worming next Monday too so I can mention it then but I am worried and would like his poo to harden up this week before a 2nd visit to the vets. 

#2 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts
  • Interests:Dogs///reading///outdoors///photography///fantasy collectibles///my Husband.

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:37 AM

What type of food is he on? Where did you get him from?? If he was pooing worms out that is not a good sign----none of my pups have come home with worms-
Viv---adoring Aughra -English Mastiff- Dargon- English Mastiff. Always in our hearts Jorth- English Mastiff- Rontu--Bull Mastiff-- Annie and Blu--Dear Basset Hounds.Drac and Timber--Chow Chows Baron-- Rottweiller

#3 willowlynn

willowlynn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 04:45 AM

Hello, new pups can be a lot of worry.  There is nothing wrong with calling your Vet with any health concerns that come up.  If your new pup is from a good breeder, you should have a lifetime relationship with him/her too.  Almost all pups are born with worms, the worm medication, switching foods and the stress of a new home can surely cause soft stools.  You might try adding a small teaspoon of canned pumpkin to one of your pups meals. Pumpkin is full of fiber and will help with soft or hard stools.  Best wishes with your new pup~

#4 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts
  • Interests:Dogs///reading///outdoors///photography///fantasy collectibles///my Husband.

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:48 AM

I agree almost all puppies are born with worms BUT I have never had one come to me with them----the only one was a shelter pup my husband sprung on me in the 80's. Otherwise they are cleaned out when we get them and I agree with a new pup never be afraid to go to the vet
Viv---adoring Aughra -English Mastiff- Dargon- English Mastiff. Always in our hearts Jorth- English Mastiff- Rontu--Bull Mastiff-- Annie and Blu--Dear Basset Hounds.Drac and Timber--Chow Chows Baron-- Rottweiller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information