• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AmyGaughan

AmyGaughan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:53 AM

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help! - Apologies in advance for the essay but background info is needed I think
I have a 2 year old greyhound called Murphy who I've had since he was 8 weeks old. We started off going through a bad time as I was in a bad relationship/abusive at times and Murphy did get in the middle sometimes. He was my saviour as I was his. After that ended he was the typical bouncy playful pup you could imagine with a greyhound and as hard as it was I made sure he'd be out on a morning walk before I went to work, out again straight after work for a long walk then a short one again before bed. He was boisterous and hard to handle at times but i put it down to him being a pup (&as many people point out he still hasn't been snipped) we then moved in with my dad and he had to share the home with my dads rottweiler who was a big friendly giant. She and my dad taught Murphy to sit and give paw and she taught him to calm down when he was being too giddy (she was a lot older so would tolerate enough but acted as a mother to him when needed) she and my dad sadly passed away within a few days of each other so he did go slightly depressed for a while. Murphy then started playing up most of the time, chewing things, not listening and then began with biting/snapping when you tried to take things off him (stuff he'd pinched or random objects he shouldn't have) I again was blind to it and kept excusing it. This went on for over a year whilst picking up the habit to urinate in the house whilst I was out (sometimes he wouldn't but then others it was Asif he was doing it just to annoy me) Now he's always been a giddy dog when someone enters the house he will jump up for the first 5 minutes or so but recently I came home from work and he'd literally pooed all over the bedroom and laid in it. So as I went to grab his collar to move him out of the way he turned round and snapped but actually caught my hand in the proceeds. It wasn't a bad bite as such but it was more shock that he'd done this completely for no reason. I wasn't shouting or anything when I went to get his collar yet it's asif he's scared and lashes out. Now I have a lot of nieces and nephews and I don't really trust him around them incase he snaps at them. He is calm around them but I'm on edge thinking what if they grab him wrong and he snaps at them. Please can anyone suggest anything at all? I'm literally open to any ideas as my heart breaks thinking the worst possible option (people have suggested rehominghim) but I'm too attached he is literally like my child and I don't want to give up on him. Please I would be so grateful for any advise from anyone... sorry again for the essay

#2 willowlynn

willowlynn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:42 AM

Hello, the fist thing you should do is have Murphy throughly Vet checked, he may be ill or in pain some where.  Once his health is cleared, you need to find a positive reward based trainer to work with.  This is not a problem you can solve over the internet.  Meanwhile use this training program with him.  http://k9deb.com/nilif.htmIncrease his physical and mental activities as well.  

#3 AmyGaughan

AmyGaughan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

Hello, thank you for replying. I forgot to mention Murphy does suffer from a skin allergy where once or twice a year his skin flares up/becomes very irritable and he starts to go bald in patches. He has to go on a course of medication to clear it up so during these times he is a lot more sensitive. This start when my dad and his Rottweiler passed away so would you think it is stress related? The vets said they can't pin point whether he is allergic to a specific thing so it's been left unanswered with them. Thank you for suggesting the dog trainer, I have been looking in to it for a while but was hoping for reassurance from someone that these trainers do actually work as I'm more then happy to invest time/money in to them if they do work. A lot of people who have met Murphy have said the worst about him - that he's out of control/no dog should be this untrained after having me and my dad spend so much time with him but that's why I explained murphys start in life because I really do believe he is a good dog deep down but he's unfortunately just had one bit of stress after another. Thanks again

#4 willowlynn

willowlynn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:55 PM

Food allergies aside, there may also be other health problems, so I still recommend a check up.  Murphy's 'start' in life has nothing to do with his behavior now, please stop using it as an excuse.  Work with a qualified positive trainer and be sure to do your homework.  Keep at home training sessions, short, often and always fun.  You get out what you put in.  Best of luck~

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Behaviour

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information