• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ahoward2194

ahoward2194

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:56 AM

So, I have a five month old Great Dane. He is a super sweet and lovable boy, but I have been struggling with potty training him. He knows to go potty immediately when we go to “his spot” outside, but I am still struggling with getting him to not go potty inside.

I have been crate training him, but about a little over a month ago, I decided to let him sleep outside of the crate since he was proving to be able to hold it through the night. Every now and then, he will wake me up in the middle of the night to go outside (not a big deal). He has gotten so great at alerting me when I’m asleep that he doesn’t ever have accidents at night. However, I work 8-5, so he is in the crate during the day. We will go days with no accidents in the crate, then we will go days with accidents back to back. I have him on a strict schedule, so the inconsistencies with his accidents have left me baffled and, quite frankly, a bit annoyed. His crate is big enough for him to lay down but not big enough for him to avoid his “mess.”

Another thing that I’m struggling with is getting him to not poop in the house. I will take him out and he will poop outside, then 20-60 minutes later, he poops in the house (even if he hasn’t eaten anything) without a warning.

I always reprimand him when he has an accident, but I am starting to feel defeated. The inconsistencies with his accidents—in and out of the crate—are starting to take a toll on me. Will this get better? Does this have anything to do with his age? If so, what can I do to minimize/eliminate the accidents in the meantime? 

#2 TheDogLine

TheDogLine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in different kinds of Electric Bark Collars, electric dog fences, remote dog training, and dog training products

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

You have said that you work 8-5, that's a very long time. You can't blame him for the accidents. I would suggest getting a trainer or a sitter so he can have a consistent training or someone would be able to watch over him when he needs to do his thing. 

#3 ahoward2194

ahoward2194

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:43 PM

You have said that you work 8-5, that's a very long time. You can't blame him for the accidents. I would suggest getting a trainer or a sitter so he can have a consistent training or someone would be able to watch over him when he needs to do his thing. 

I wish it were that easy. Unfortunately, this isn't something I can do. Even when I am home on the weekends (and in the evenings after work) I walking him frequently, but he still will have accidents every now and then. It's great when he goes a week with no accidents in the crate, but then out of the blue he will start having accidents again. I know he is capable of holding it throughout the day since he has done so in the past. But the lack of a pattern to his behavior is what makes it difficult for me to determine the cause/issue. 

#4 willowlynn

willowlynn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:44 AM

There is no reason to reprimand him, every time he potties in the house, it's your fault.  I'm sorry but it's true.  He gets no freedom in the house, he must be watched constantly, every time he has an accident, it reinforces that it's okay to do so.  Punishing or scolding him will cause him to mistrust you and he will learn to be sneaky about it.  Take him out more often, longer walks, keep him leashed and reward him lavishly when he 'goes' outside.  Dogs don't train themselves, it takes a lot of work and your patience will be worth it.  Also consider positive basic training classes.  Good luck~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information