• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 allstrays

allstrays

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:56 AM

I posted this in another forum but I think it fits here more and the more that read it the more help I can get. Oh we are at our wits end. My husband and I found out we were pregnant last December. We have three dogs. The biggest is the youngest (intact male husky mix) the middle is such in size and age (spayed female retriever mix) and the smallest is the oldest (spayed female dachshund chihuahua mix). About 9'weeks into the pregnancy our husky chewed through our laundry room door. We replaced it the next day and two days after that he chewed through it again. We have yet to replace it again. He also began marking all over the den. They are confined to this room while we're gone and he NEVER marked before the pregnancy. Thevet told me that he would probably stop once the baby arrived. Our son is now two months old and there is not relief in sight. I've talked to the vet again and they said since he's marked for more than six months neutering probably won't help. As soon as we walk in we can tell he had for two reasons. One the smell and two because he immediately acts remorseful. And now (and this is because the baby occupies so much time and we've both gone back to work) the two females are starting to fight. Since one is much bigger and younger, the smaller older one has been actually hurt in their recent fight. I think more her pride than anything but she's limping. We tried a crate with our male, he ended up shredding the blanket destroying the water bowl and chewing the handle off the crate within the four hours we were away. Then he wouldn't play or really come near us for a few days. We've tried everything from no more mark spray to bleach because the urine smell is so horrible in that room. His favorite places are the couch the coffee table the end table the dresser the food bin and the doorway. Most recently it had spread to the dryer (since we no longer have a laundry room door) and the refrigerator the kitchen is adjacent to the den and this one is only when we're home. We've tried scolding crating banding (which he eats the diapers and he's peed on the bands so much I can't wash them with our clothes or the whole laundry loaf smells like Urine. We want to replace the couch and rug to get rid of the smell but not if he's just going to mark that too. We're all for getting him neutered (we didn't before because we didn't have a reason to) but we've heard so many people say it wouldn't help at this point. How do I teach my fur boy that my new boy isn't a threat and won't take his room? We all sleep in the same room and (Thankfully) NONE of the dogs are agressive toward the baby. In fact the big two show a lot of interest him and try to lick him all the time. I don't know what to do. So many people want to come see the baby and I keep saying no because the house stinks. I'm sometimes afraid someone will think our home is unfit and try to call child services because even though we are constantly cleaning it up it's never really gone. Pleas help!!!!!

#2 SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:17 AM

How much exercise and mental stimulation are you giving him? I don't know what he's mixed with but a husky requires a lot of exercise and work. They will become destructive when confined, when bored, ect. Do you have a secure kennel he could be in unsupervised? The breed is known for being escape artist so merely left outside wouldn't probably be too well. You have to train the behavior out, so it requires catching him in the act.

I'd also consult with a behaviorist or at minimum a trainer, rather than your vet. The vet is for medical issues, a behaviorist can help modify behavior and give suggestions for success.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information