Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information

Room mate got pit bull shelter dog 3 weeks after I got a puppy... help! - Behaviour Problems - Dog Chat Forums

Photo

Room mate got pit bull shelter dog 3 weeks after I got a puppy... help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 savvyrae55

savvyrae55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:30 PM

First off I am so for people getting shelter pets and how amazing it is to save a life! So totally for it.

I live in a house with 2 other girls. About 6 weeks ago I was hit by a drunk driver and the crash killed my amazing little 1.5 year old cockapoo. I am still grieving the lost of my baby boy but decided to open up my heart to a new pup named Millie! She is a mini labradoodle so only about 10lbs right now...

So 3 weeks after I got her my room mate decided to adopt a pit bull mix dog from a local shelter. He is sweet but plays VERY aggressively, is 40-50 lbs, and even though she was told he was potty trained is not. This has caused my puppy to go backwards with the potty training, she is constantly getting hurt, and the thing I am most concerned about is that she has changed from this sweet docile dog to aggressive and a biter. She loves biting now because that is what the other dog does to her (which I immediately punish for, but is still an issue).

I just am at a loss about what to do about it. Do I let them play fight until they finally chill, do I make them stop immediately until they stop trying? My room mate is also new to being a dog owner and is not disciplining well so this is another struggle. 

All and any help/advice is appreciated!! I have never had an aggressive dog so I am so lost on how to deal with this.

#2 willowlynn

willowlynn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:16 AM

Hello, first off I am so sorry about your loss and congrats on your new pup.  You need to supervise the playtimes and step in and stop aggressive behavior.  Keep them separated unless you are there to watch them. Your puppy also should not have any unsupervised freedom in the house until you are 100% sure she is potty trained.  How is it you are punishing your pup for biting or any unwanted behavior?  You should never hit or scold any dog, always redirect and give your pup something else to do that you can reward.  Work on basic training, short and fun sessions.  Have you considered puppy kindergarten?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information