Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information

Family tragedy - new family dynamic//routine - Behaviour Problems - Dog Chat Forums

Photo

Family tragedy - new family dynamic//routine

behavior; adult dog alone

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Congressmom

Congressmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:19 AM

We have two adult dogs; one is 1/2 Basset Hound; the other full Basset.  They are primarily house dogs and someone (my daughter-in-law and granddaughter) were home every day.

We lost our 2-year old granddaughter tragically on September 24th.  Since that time, our daughter-in-law is now working full time at the local school.  The dogs are home alone all day now.  The Basset has begun to pee and poop in the house; on the carpet (living room, even though we've blocked it off, he gets in).

We've taken to putting both dogs outside.  I don't know what else to do.  Our days are long.  Everyone is typically gone by 8am and don't return home until about 4:30 pm.

Is there a way to train him?  We have two insulated dog houses with dog beds.  They're located under a gazebo we have in the back yard and we've reinforced the gazebo walls with tarps to help brake the wind down.  We do live in Michigan and I worry about the cold.

What can we do?  I'd love to be able to leave them in the house, and I feel terrible, not only for the loss of our granddaughter but now for the total upheaval of our dog's lives.

#2 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Interests:Dogs///reading///outdoors///photography///fantasy collectibles///my Husband.

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:23 AM

I am very very sorry about your loss. Leaving them outside will only make things worse for the dogs--can you find someone to come once or twice to let them out and get some interaction? I can bet they are out there howling all day--having owned Bassets myself. Please let us know

Viv---- Dargon- English Mastiff. Always in our hearts--Aughra- English Mastiff- Jorth- English Mastiff- Rontu--Bull Mastiff-- Annie and Blu--Dear Basset Hounds .Drac and Timber--Chow Chows- Baron-- Rottweiller

#3 willowlynn

willowlynn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:33 AM

So sorry for your loss.  I agree with what Viv suggested and wanted to add dog day care could be another option.

#4 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Interests:Dogs///reading///outdoors///photography///fantasy collectibles///my Husband.

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

Dog day care is a good idea  if a person can afford it----

Viv---- Dargon- English Mastiff. Always in our hearts--Aughra- English Mastiff- Jorth- English Mastiff- Rontu--Bull Mastiff-- Annie and Blu--Dear Basset Hounds .Drac and Timber--Chow Chows- Baron-- Rottweiller

#5 TheDogLine

TheDogLine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in different kinds of Electric Bark Collars, electric dog fences, remote dog training, and dog training products

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:47 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. I absolutely agree with Viv's statement. Keep us posted on any progress! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information