• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Buttercup's_Mom

Buttercup's_Mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

I came here because my rescue pup baffles me. I love him more than anything, but I don't understand him and I want to help him. He has come a long way.

I got him last year (I chose Christmas as his birthdate, since no one really knows). He just turned five!

I've made some mistakes (some, I knew were not wise, but I'm frustrated). I have a challenge or two, making progress though!)

So, I'll get more specific when the forum is more active and I'm not so sleepy. I look forward to learning and advice and trying to give it back. I know a little, but this little man is about 70 lbs smaller than my last dog, over 100 lbs less than my first girl.

He's different. He's got... preferences (and very odd fears). I don't know how to help him.

He was 10 lbs when I got him, last few months hes up to 13.5 lbs. My fault and I've stopped MY bad behavior. It's so hard it seems to be the only thing that makes him really happy - except my housemate of 15 years, who physically went and got him. But he'll be moving to another country in a few months. : (.

My little man is sharp as a tack, and not above being adorable in hopes I'll do what he wants.

He's a burrower. I love it. When I sleep on my side he immediately cuddles tightly to my back.

He bit me the minute I met him (my fault) and on my eyebrow soon after (my fault). He used to snap at my feet if he was at the foot of my bed but we've done a lot of work and he hasn't even given a warning in 7-8 months.

He's afraid of food bowls. Paper towels, things in different places. He does the strangest ritual on things he drags his nose one the rug or blanket, then boops it deliberately with his nose. Over and over. He's not trying to bury. He sometimes walks backwards into rooms. It's cute but something hurt or scared him. He rarely does it now. He leap-frogs from small rug to rug because the tiles scare him (slippery?)

Walks are hard for me and he hates them. We go out back and he's very efficient, but he loves it. I have pee pads on bad days. He's fabulous.

He was fostered with several dogs and they said he was fine. He hasn't had met many people, but love the care or going to the store (in his Vera Bradley bag (and old purse of my Mom's, who died 2 years ago and I miss her so it's nice to use her things. Lost my dear love Zander -lab mix, about 2 years ago too. Buttercup loves his bed).

He's barked maybe 35 times in the year I've had him, he loves to talk, we converse back and forth. He talks in his sleep)

He won't play. I haven't found the right tool/method. Balls, chew toys (DEF not squeaky!) I wish I could find something to stimulate him, a healthier happier dog.

Guess I gave a lot of details, a general overview. I'd love advice on the best place to post, other than the obvious. I'll chop things up per issue. I forgot several more I'd love feedback on, but I've hacked on too long already. I'm sorry!

Hope to get to interact, meet and get advice (fingers crossed)!

Thanks everyone. Be back soon!

#2 willowlynn

willowlynn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:47 AM

Hi, welcome to the group!  It sounds like you have overcome most of your problems.  I have a little girl that is petrified of plastic bags, airplanes and the wind.  In her defense, a tree almost blew over on us once and I give her credit for being smart and knowing things can come down!  lol  I have no idea why plastic bags scare her though.  The thing is, each dog has their little quarks.  From what you've wrote, your little guy sounds just right!  I hope to hear more from you soon, there's a lot of nice people here for you to meet.

#3 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts
  • Interests:Dogs///reading///outdoors///photography///fantasy collectibles///my Husband.

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:13 AM

HI. Sounds like you are doing your best--have you tried using a stuffed kong or one with the hole in it you put small treats in he rolls it a treat pops out----worked for mine good luck hope to hear more

Viv---- Dargon- English Mastiff. Jutz- English Mastiff-- Always in our hearts--Aughra- English Mastiff- Jorth- English Mastiff- Rontu--Bull Mastiff-- Annie and Blu--Dear Basset Hounds .Drac and Timber--Chow Chows- Baron-- Rottweiller

#4 TheDogLine

TheDogLine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in different kinds of Electric Bark Collars, electric dog fences, remote dog training, and dog training products

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:40 PM

Welcome to the forum! I agree with Viv, stuffed kong was very useful for me as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information