• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AmyK

AmyK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:14 AM

We adopted a 5mo boxer/husky mix (guessing on breed) puppy from the Humane Society this past summer. He's a very energetic dog and has picked up basic training and commands fairly easily. It took quite a while to house train him (around five months), and I feel we don't really have a good system in place for how he should tell us he needs to go out. He tends to lunge and bite/nip at us whenever he wants something. We never know if he needs to go out to go potty, wants to play, or is just being naughty. I would love some basic input on how to teach him a cue other than biting us when he wants something. Our previous dog would sit by the door and whine to go out, or bring us a toy when he wanted to play. This dog bites at us when he has to go potty, wants to play, is told no (especially to chasing the cats), or is simply bored. He doesn't actually hurt anyone, but this isn't an appropriate way to communicate what he needs, and constantly guessing whether or not he needs to go potty has gotten very old (with SO many trips outside when that wasn't what he wanted/needed). Any thoughts? Thanks!

#2 willowlynn

willowlynn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:23 AM

Hello, A boxer/husky x dog is very high energy, he might have a bit of herding dog in the mix, and herders communicate by nipping.  I would redirect the nipping by using a command such as 'sit' and rewarding the sit with a treat.  Your dog needs more exercise to  burn off his energy and allow him to calmly focus on you.  Sign up for positive basic training classes and follow that with a dog sport.  A regular feeding schedule will help you predict his potty needs.  Good luck!

#3 AmyK

AmyK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:34 AM

Thanks the input - I hadn't thought of it as a possible part of a herding instinct. He is definitely trying to communicate when he does it - we just can't always tell what it is he's after. Definitely LOADS of energy in this one! On the days he goes to doggy playdays he's an angel in the evening because he's good and worn out. The days he's in his crate while we're at work make for tougher evenings with more naughtiness and nipping than usual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information