• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Irit

Irit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:01 AM

I adopted my dog about 9 month ago. He is a pitbull mix and he is 2 years old.

When I first brought him he was very afraid of everything and used to hide under tables a lot, but as time passed he became more confident around my family and in the house.
In the last 4 months or so I've noticed a strange behavior. Whenever we go on a walk he instantly wants to go home after he pees. We take 3 steps outside and he immediately turns back to the front door. Not only that, but if we don't go home he pulls so hard that it's pretty difficult to resist him. When I try to assertively resist he fights really hard and tries to get out of the leash (which he can't), and eventually has hard time breathing.

I tried a lot of different things.
I took some sausage with me and tried to give it to him as a treat for walking and not pulling back home. He didn't care much (though he really loves this treat).
I tried walking a little bit at a time, increasing the distance each time by a little, but it didn't work.

I ALWAYS try to be as calm and as assertive as possible so he can feel that I'm not tense and hope my energy can influence him, but every time we go outside he is just so afraid and so nervous.

I am really hopeless. He used to love going on walks and I used to take him on really long walks at least twice a day. We used to run together and explore new routes, but now it's like something changed in him.

I hope someone here can help me with this problem.
Thank you.
Irit.

#2 willowlynn

willowlynn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:16 AM

Hi, something is different.  How is his health?  Is there a reason he wants to stay close to home?  Did something scare him?  I suggest enrolling in a positive basic training class if his health is good.  Training builds confidence, sign up in a class with other dogs so your dog can get used to new surroundings and have fun.

#3 TheDogLine

TheDogLine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in different kinds of Electric Bark Collars, electric dog fences, remote dog training, and dog training products

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:45 PM

You might want to visit the vet since this is an odd behavior for him. When everything's fine with the consultation, you can seek for professional training advise. Also, introduce him to different dogs (that you trust) so his confidence or self-esteem will boost up. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information