Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information

1 yr old herd mix, ball obsessed at do park - Behaviour Problems - Dog Chat Forums

Photo

1 yr old herd mix, ball obsessed at do park

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ada

Ada

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:35 AM

My 1 year old neutered male Kelpie,border collie mix is obsessed with playing fetch. We made the mistake of taking him to the dog park for the purpose of space to run and now he is fixated from the moment he gets through the gate. His behavior usually leads to him snapping at any dog that comes near him right after he gets through the gate, yup until he has chased the ball a few times. This has lead to some issues where his behavior has caused us to leave the park just after opening the gate. He is super social and goes to daycare all of the time and has no problem. What I've noticed is that any place where there are other dogs and grass with a chain link gate, he reacts the same way. I know we unknowingly created this obsession, but I don't know how to fix it. I've tried playing fetch at home and not bringing a ball to the dog park, but he gets so worked up if you don't throw something that he gets into fights with other dogs. Does anyone have any ideas on how to break this?

#2 Viv

Viv

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts
  • Interests:Dogs///reading///outdoors///photography///fantasy collectibles///my Husband.

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:13 AM

Do you have a yard? can you set up an obstacle course and teach him  to use it?? He needs a release--this would work great.

Viv---- Dargon- English Mastiff. Jutz- English Mastiff-- Always in our hearts--Aughra- English Mastiff- Jorth- English Mastiff- Rontu--Bull Mastiff-- Annie and Blu--Dear Basset Hounds .Drac and Timber--Chow Chows- Baron-- Rottweiller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Dog Chat Home Page

Dog Information Articles

Dog Potty Issues

Cat Information